Conflicts of Interest
Members of the guideline panel and the external reviewers were asked for details about potential conflicts of interest. They made the following statements:
- Roger Zemek: I, Roger Zemek, have competitively-funded research grants from Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation (ONF), Physician Services Incorporated (PSI) Foundation, CHEO Foundation, Ontario Brain Institute (OBI), and Ontario SPOR Support Unit (OSSU), and the National Football League (NFL) Scientific Advisory Board. I hold Clinical Research Chair in Pediatric Concussion from the University of Ottawa, and I am on the concussion advisory board for Parachute Canada (a non-profit injury prevention charity). I am a co-owner and Scientific Director of 360 Concussion Care.
- Nick Reed: I, Nick Reed, hold, have held or have been associated with research grants from Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation (ONF), Public Health Agency of Canada, Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital Foundation, Ontario Brain Institute (OBI), and Ontario SPOR Support Unit (OSSU), the National Football League (NFL) Scientific Advisory Board, Scotiabank and the Greater Toronto Hockey League. I hold a Canada Research Chair in Pediatric Concussion from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research, and I am on the concussion advisory board for Parachute Canada (a non-profit injury prevention charity). I am a co-owner and Lead of Knowledge Translation and Allied Health Engagement at 360 Concussion Care.
- Gerard Gioia: I am a test author of several measures/tools: Acute Concussion Evaluation (ACE); Post-Concussion Symptom Inventory (PCSI); Concussion Recognition & Response App; Symptom Targeted Academic Management Plan (STAMP)
- Chris Giza: I do not believe any of these disclosures represent a direct conflict of interest with the current work; however, in an effort for full transparency, I always elect to disclose all potential COIs. Grants/Research Support: NCAA, U.S. Dept of Defense, UCLA Steve Tisch BrainSPORT program, NIH NINDS (R01 NS110757 2019-2024); UCLA Brain Injury Research Center, Easton Clinic for Brain Health, NINDS Neural Analytics SBIR grant (NS092209 2016-2020), Richie’s Fund (2018-2019). Clinical Consultant: NBA, NFL-Neurological Care Program, NHLPA. Advisory Board: Highmark Interactive (2018-2020), Novartis Pharmaceutical (2019), MLS, NBA, USSF. Medicolegal: One or two cases annually. Stock Shareholder: Highmark Interactive stock options (2018). Book royalties – Blackwell/Wiley Publishing: Prioritized Neurological Differential Diagnosis.
- Judith Gargaro: I represent the sponsor of the Guideline (Ontario Neurotrauma Foundation). I will make every effort not to interfere with the editorial independence of the guideline developers. As a member of the consensus group, I will only add comments pertaining to implementation and clarity, knowledge translation and use, system of care and policy issues of the materials.
- Michael Ellis: I am the co-chair of the Expert Advisory Subcommittee on concussion for Parachute
- Philippe Fait: I am a 12% Co-owner of a private concussion clinic (Clinique Cortex, Quebec city, Qc, Canada). Multiple conferences and courses on concussions.
- Kristian Goulet: I receive an honorarium from drug companies for talks (normally $1500.00 per talk). I have received funding from the following companies: Lundmark, Janssen, and Purdue.
- Jacquie van Ierssel: I have received speaking honoraria and travel expenses for presentations at scientific meetings. I am the founder of R2P Concussion Management and teach concussion courses to multidisciplinary clinicians.
The project leader evaluated the statements and decided that these people did not face a conflict of interest in terms of creating or reviewing this document.